When you support a small business, you’re supporting a dream.
When you buy from a small business, you are not helping a CEO buy a third holiday home. You are helping a child get dance lessons or art classes, a mum and dad put food on the table, a family pay a mortgage or a student pay for college.
When you buy from a small business, an actual person does a little happy dance.
Please have a look through this year’s Christmas Gift Guide that includes over 30 different small businesses, all local and all with a little something special to offer everyone.
Christmas Gift guide 2017
– Surprise a beer lover you know by gifting them the best of the best. Through Brewfellas, a specialist beer import and distribution company, you can find and purchase the rarest craft beer brands available from around the world. It’s worthwhile checking out the Brewfellas bar in the old town of Nicosia too where you can also grab some food.
–My Baby Organics is a local business that features an exclusive range of organic clothing for babies and kids up to five years old. Ethical and stylish, you can find a variety of baby products but personally I love the hooded all-in-ones.
– At That Nice Shop in Polis you can find the most beautiful handmade items for your loved ones. There’s a range of jewelry, mosaics, wood work, textiles, art and glass work, all made by local crafters and artists. Find more Christmas gift ideas here.
That Nice Shop, Polis: 11, Grivas Digenis, Polis, Paphos. Tel: 99-269284 / Also on Facebook
– Two years ago Froso Mavrou started designing the most adorable dolls with wardrobes to rival any fashionista. Truly amazing and original, Pouppes, as the designer affectionately calls them, will make a great Christmas gift for a loved one of any age.
– Handmade by Chrissie is a beautifully-curated online shop featuring crochet goodies. Unlike others, however, there’s a wide range of designs that are unique, gorgeous and can be personalised any way you chose for babies, children and even adults. It’s entirely up to you. Personally, I love this Christmas stocking.
Contact Chrissie on Facebook and place your order.
– At Hello Piñata you will find an impressive range of handmade and carefully crafted piñatas perfect for any occasion whether it’s a birthday party, christening, baby shower or a special themed event. How about one for the kids on Christmas Day?
Contact Hello Piñata on Facebook or call 99-288820 to place an order.
– Fancy having a personalised plaque or sign made for someone you love? Cyprus Hearts can customise wooden signs whether its a personal gift or a birthday, christening or wedding gift. You can find an existing range of genuinely funny, original and cute sayings on various plaque designs.
– Mama Bear Designs was founded by a mama who loves modern clothing and especially matching t-shirts for Mommy and Me and siblings and even pets! Personally tested, these come in great quality and are perfect for newborns.
– Stop worrying about birthday cards and hating yourself for scribbling a wish on wrapping paper and discover Unicorns and Superheroes. The brainchild of a full-time mama of two and part-time designer, this is how you can design your own thank you cards, Christmas cards, birthday cards, personalised kids stationery and invitations. Also for readers of the blog, you can get 20% off when you quote ‘Georgie’s Mum’ when placing your order!
Find Unicorns and Superheroes and have a chat with them about your ideas on Facebook or e-mail the designer at firstname.lastname@example.org
-Handmade earthen ware including bowls, plates, maze dishes, platters. Laser-cut wooden objects such as coffee plates, serving boards, coasters, journals and jewellery. Creative books related to design, home, interiors, art and much more at Huga Studio. My favourite are the handmade cushions, original vintage lamps, t-shirts, kitchen towels, yoga mat bags, purses and baby stuff.
– Mandos Jewellery have been going strong for 45 years. That’s because they specialise in handmade and personalised silver or gold necklaces, earrings, bracelets and an array of other items that would make anyone happy to receive.
Visit Mandos Jewellery at 5B, Evagorou Street in Nicosia, tel 22-755870 or check out their Facebook page .
– At Ditale Studio, run by a mummy of two boys, there is literally something for all ages. Chose from an excellent range of educational soft toys such as Montessori puzzle balls and a soft ring stacker; handmade handbags and zipper pouches; and silver and gold jewellery. But my personal favourite are the hooded bath towels, blankets and diaper changing mats all made with wonderfully fun fabrics.
– Looking for something unusual and ever so tasty? Then you must check out Potopia, an all-women company that produces handmade drinks and specifically liqueurs. The small production company is involved in sourcing the fruit to bottling and labelling. The range of tastes is so intriguing, they would make perfect wedding or christening favours and obviously great gifts this Christmas.
– Go crazy with amazing and simple baby gifts from GUDbaby, a mummy-run business we love. Find the ultimate toe-warming gift this season, the cherry stone pillows available in a wide range of hand drawn designs for kids and adults! And the best part is that all warmers and toys come with backpacks so your kids can take them everywhere.
– Do you have a nephew or niece, grandchild or a child in your life to whom you would like to offer something more than a material gift? How about a voucher for a specialised early English programme? For children from one year old and over, Rainbow Phonics offers award-winning guided reading programmes and Cambridge classes for children over seven years old and excellent toddler programmes that include mums too. Educational field trips, parties and other great events are often on the schedule.
– Here’s something quite special and original: a baltic amber necklace for babies. Amber Healing specialises in Baltic amber jewellery, energised with Reiki to the specific needs of the wearer. With extraordinary healing abilities for babies too, the necklaces and bracelets can soothe teething, colic, growing pains and can aid in sleeping too.
– If you know any mamas-to-be and want to surprise them with the ultimate useful gift then check out a baby carrier and these Karaush ergonomic baby carriers to be more specific. Available in a range of beautiful fabrics you can chose from, with wide straps and the perfect breathable material -highly recommended in this climate- the practical Karaush carriers suitable from 4 months to 3 years is brilliant.
Unique and original illustrations adorn everyday practical items like laptop cases, pouches, bags, purses and wallets not to mention back packs, shoulder bags and pencil cases. Oh Deer Design Studio has created an impressive range of goodies that would make excellent gifts this season. I especially love the hand-painted Frida Kahlo shoulder bags and the kiddie colouring books.
– How amazing would it be to receive a box of essential oils for Christmas this year? At Doterra you can chose from a range of topical, internal or aromatic oils, depending on the person’s needs.
– I am crazy excited about discovering this small business. Book Ex Machina specialises in the publication of small runs and special editions of art and photography books of the highest caliber. The Letters Page Vol 1, a limited boxed edition and an illustrated book anthology of selected letters is highly recommended as is Nicosia in Dark and White, a beautiful award-winning fine art volume of black and white photographs of abandoned houses adjacent to the Green Line in Nicosia.
– If you know a family that likes matching their clothes, maybe you should check out mel. This is where you’ll find the ultimate matching family outfits. Every piece of clothing is handmade and all designs can be adapted any way you want.
– A little shop where big transformations take place. At Avocado Creations you’ll find a range of furniture and home decor pieces that are handmade and hand-painted with non-toxic paints. Expect tons of creativity within this space where you can also attend a little workshop and learn how to turn any piece of furniture into anything you want with just a bit of paint.
Contact Avocado Creations on Facebook or visit their shop: 72 C, Archibishop Kyprianou Avenue in Strovolos, 96491087.
– Perhaps you feel your loved one is in need of a luxurious spa treatment, in which case a spa voucher is perfect. I know it’s among my top three choices for a gift. If you’re in the Paphos area be sure to check out Le Petite Spa and the many organic facial massages and beauty treatments that are on offer there. Owned and run by a single mama, here you can also find the vegan friendly Pinks boutique product range, which is sold separately and can be delivered anywhere on the island. Christmas gift bags are also available.
– The cutest handmade creations for babies can be found at Bubi, a small business run by a mother of two, who knows exactly what is needed during those first months. Nappy bags, pouches, bibs, dummy clips, hats and more including my favourite idea, personalised bundles of goodies for newborns or christening.
Get in touch with Bubi via their Facebook page
– If you’re always on the lookout for unique minimalistic home decor pieces then you really should know about Work It Urbanly, where you can find impressive handmade creations made from metal, wood and concrete. Things like plant pots, tealight candle holders and bowls and even extraordinary Christmas decorations made from copper pipes are available. But my favourite are the concrete letters which you can order in any colour.
Find Work It Urbanly on Facebook and send them a message to place your order.
– Customised greeting cards and special art prints are the little things in life that I always hold onto and enjoy displaying them on my walls and around my home. That’s why I love what Whale & Fish do, a brother and sister duo based in Nicosia with a brilliant knack for illustration and design. Their retro collage design prints are simply awesome.
You can find Whale & Fish on Instagram or e-mail them at email@example.com
– Jules dort, Mamie tricote is the unique name of this lovely little online shop that specialises in hand-knitted goodies like snoods, blankets, infinity and hooded scarves all in beautiful vintage colours. Their teething necklaces for mums and teething rings for babies are also extremely popular and come in gorgeous pastel colours and geometric shapes that would look great with any outfit.
-Street and travel photography with a Christmas twist are the basis of Eleni Philippou Photography Christmas card collection, which features three sets of original holiday themed images. Theses are the kind of unique Christmas cards you’ll want to frame and keep forever.
– One of our favourite kiddie toy shops, To Sinnefaki is definitely one to keep on your shopping radar when it comes to accomplishing the task of a plastic-free Christmas. Excellent educational toys for all ages, some beautiful decor pieces and our favourite Gray Label children’s clothing line are available at this little mama-owned toy shop.
Visit the shop on 78, Stadiou Street in Larnaca or check out their Facebook page where you can also place orders and have anything shipped islandwide.
– Calendars should be more popular as Christmas gifts and they probably would if they looked like these ones. Available in four different cover designs and printed with motivational quotes inside to inspire, these A5 hard copy weekly planners are perfect for anyone who likes to keep organised. You can even get them as a digital file however for every hard copy sold, one euro will go to a charity.
To order call Lilia at 99-611187 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
-Another amazing little shop dedicated to kiddos, Vagabond is actually a studio/shop space with the most beautiful range of handmade children’s clothes by BBWOLF and handmade dolls by Genny’s Thoughts.
Find more about Genny’s Thoughts dolls on her Facebook page / See BBWOLF’s designs on her Facebook page and more on Vagabond here. The shop is located on 272E Ermou Street in Nicosia. Call 99583809 for more info.
-The Little Vintage Girl had so much love for old furniture and items of decades gone by that she decided to breathe life into them. Find an impressive range of restored furniture and vintage home decor and even posters such as this original 1930s era print of the Platres’ Forest Park Hotel.
A freelance artist who draws little ladies. Adorable and beautifully original, My Sea Shellez boasts a range of simple drawings in vibrant colours and pretty little faces in really cool clothes. Greeting cards and prints available as special and wildly original gifts especially the ones with cute witches and girls on skateboards.
Ready, set, shop!
Thank you to everyone who participated in this year’s Christmas gift guide! My hope is that each year it will grow and accommodate more small businesses that deserve to be acknowledged.
Whether you have found this gift guide to be helpful or not this holiday season, the basis of it is that you are being urged to consider small businesses when shopping in general. So if you know a little toy shop on the corner of your street or a clothes boutique in your area, pop in and give them a chance.