Last night, I finally decided to give into Mr Christian Grey and see what all the hype is about. Instead of laughing my head off, which was what I was expecting, I was actually deeply bothered. For those not aware of the name, I am referring to the world’s newest fascination and the male lead in 50 Shades of Grey. I was not bothered by Mr Grey’s idea of a good time – to each his own-but by the fact that apparently over 100 million women bought and read this book and actually liked it thus creating a monster and a boring one at that! Girls, this is not good stuff. Please spend your money on books that are worth your time. The writing is extremely bad and furthermore if Sam Taylor-Johnson couldn’t save the movie version, then you know its a hopeless case. When I heard that the irresistible Charlie Hunnam had pulled out of his role as Christian Grey, I was disappointed and I get the impression I’m not the only one. Have you seen him? Anyway, I can imagine Hunnam waking up, sweaty and shaky, remembering the moment he almost took part in what is sure to be the worst story ever told. Rolling Stone said it best: The true audiences for 50 Shades of Grey are gluttons for punishment-by boredom!
So after that little rant, here’s this week’s The Parent Hood:
1. I am in the middle of an elimination diet. I use the word ‘elimination’ lightly because I have cheated and will probably continue to do so but the overall idea of cutting sugar out of my diet as well as gluten has been riding with me for two weeks and I’m going strong. This post on prepping healthy food so its readily available was a good one for me.
2. There was a book fair at Georgie’s school last week and there I found out about a great website on children’s books run here in Cyprus! Children’s Books Cyprus is a family run business that sells new children’s books. You can order online and most books are priced between 1 and 5 euros.
3. I may be in my 30s and technically wiser but I still can’t apply eyeliner to save my life! If you feel the same way, check out these awesome 32 makeup tips that nobody told you about.
4. I am a huge fan of the TEDx events but the TedxManhattan, held last week was a favourite. It’s all about Changing the Way we Eat. I especially liked Dr Robert Graham’s input about how doctors are taught nothing about the health benefits of food and furthermore how hospital canteens serve the worse food to sick people. He proposes every hospital has its own vegetable garden and fresh produce to feed patients. How cool would that be! And how sad that it will probably never happen.
5. I am all about proper grammar, especially these days when everything we were ever taught about the English language is going out the window. Keep it alive and learn the difference between ‘which’ and ‘when’.